Monday, June 23, 2008

When it comes to making food, I find the term 'success' to be very relative...



(I wish I could dance.)

Out of hungry desperation today, I tried to make my own homemade version of pita and hummus. My time in the kitchen proved to be very humbling and educational. I started up with botching the hummus (magic bullets are not the way to go when smashing chick peas) and was persevering in my search for a pita recipe that did not call for yeast. Finally I found one. However, it turns out yeastless pitas taste a whole hell of a lot like tortillas. So now I'm stuck with 10 slightly doughy tortillas masquerading as pita in my fridge and a serving of really lumpy hummus to boot. So while my stomach may be full of food, I must contend with the fact that my improvisational exotic culinary expertise falls short of acceptable. Meh. However, I have gleaned some good lessons from this experience.

Lessons gleaned from portilla (tortilla meets pita) and lumpy hummus extravaganza:
  1. When the majority of the websites tell you that you can't make pita without yeast, believe them.
  2. Don't let yourself get distracted by Louisville Light Pollution maps while making time sensitive foods.
  3. Use a rolling pin, not a mug.
  4. When dealing with untried recipes its better to split it in half so you don't end up with a dozen mutant pitas demanding their immediate consumption.
  5. A small Magic Bullet obviously won't do the job sufficiently if you insist of sticking an entire can of chick peas into it.
  6. Knock off cherry ice tea tastes startling like cherry koolaid and thus does not go accordingly with lumpy hummus and portillas.
Yesterday, I should tell you, was a very good day in the kitchen. Em and I made this fantastic Refrigerator Vegetable Soup. I call it that because we basically emptied the entire fridge of our wilting vegetable stock, and then half a bag of frozen peas for good measure. And then Em whipped up some great Baking Soda Biscuits while I made our family's traditional Peachy Peach Jello. I have to say, it was the best soup I've had in a really really long time. It consisted of white rice, 1 1/2 onions chopped up , half a bag of baby carrots chopped, a sizable amount of celery and their leaves, for flavoring, frozen peas (added at the end or else they get mushy), and then a base of chicken broth, fresh thyme and rosemary, salt and pepper, onion salt, and of course, butter. With the BSBs, (which weren't the most flavorful biscuits which was okay because when you dunked them in the broth it was perhaps the best mixture of tastes possible) and the prospect of Peachy Peach Jello afterwards, I must say last night's dinner was superb. The only thing that could have made it better was a cup of cold milk to go along with it, but we're almost all out, sadly enough.

Oh, the cat is gone. I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but my mom went to Pennsylvania for the week and left the infamous Kitty Boy with us at the apartment, where he terrorized my sister and I for the better part of our nights. I lost a bit of my middle finger because of the beast. No matter how entertaining he may be or cute he may look when he's sleeping, I'm glad I no longer have to look at his litter box, put up with him waking me up in the early hours of the morning, or fear for the safety of my hands when I reach to pet him during one of his 'games' (aka running up and down the stairs and underneath Em's bed with a crazy look in his eyes, or stalking me while I'm not paying attention, only to jump in my face and scare the crap out of me).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that you start a lot of your posts (maybe all of them) with videos. And the can's gone? Gone where? :(

Liv said...

back home with the madre. Thank. God.

Anonymous said...

i'll keep you lessons in mind if i ever make pita

Anonymous said...

The Magic Bullet is great.