Monday, June 16, 2008

Sonata for the Moonlight



(I can't help but pronounce his name Beeth - hoven, not Bay-toven)

It’s a marvelous night for a moon dance, or so says the great Van Morrison. The moon is near full and as I surfaced for air tonight for a spot of tea at Starbucks, I saw it and instinctively broke out in song, as I’m wont to do whenever I spot the moon. I’m next to positive Van was singing about a more promiscuous sort of dancing, but still, it’s a nice enough song. Have you ever listened to other songs about the moon or even songs that mention moons? I find most of them extraordinarily sad. Either that or they’re about sex, hah. Depression and loneliness or passion and whimsy, pick your poison oh modern day bards. I like the moon, and the stars. They’re so ethereal yet very familiar at the same time. Back on campus when I’d be coming back from the library at night, there was this certain tree that, before it got leaves again, you could look up through the branches to the stars, and it was like looking at the sky through lacework. It was beautiful in a sharp lonely way that stars and the night have. I think we spend too much time looking down at the concrete that we sometimes forget about everything above us- the trees, the clouds, the stars, the moon. I think we forget a lot of things in our attempts to live. (But again, I don’t feel like cynically ranting about the human race. I do that every weekday in my Social Problems class.) I wish I knew more constellations, as if I could make friends with them. Or at least learn their stories, though I suppose that’s what making friends means to me, learning people’s stories.

(I love Greek and Roman mythology and their obsession with the world.)


In other news, I have changed my career goals in life. I’m going to quite college, find a mystic mentor and make my way in life by reading palms and interpreting dreams in a traveling gypsy caravan. (The future me.)How does that sound? Good right? It’s either that, or I’ll travel to an alternate universe and live there. But if I adhere to Pullman’s theory on living in an alternate universe then I wouldn’t live so long. Then again, I could have a daemon, which would kick ass. Maybe I’d even save the universe by giving in to temptation and ruining my innocence. If that doesn’t work, maybe I could move across the Wall and discover that my father, the Abhorsen, was in mortal danger, as was the rest of the Old Kingdom, and I’d be called to save them and fall in love with a bastard prince who was locked away in the river of death to preserve and protect his royal bloodline. Then I could learn Charter Magic and live in the house in the river. Though if I were to choose between Nix’s books, I’d pick Lirael because she created Dog and worked in that kick ass library. What other fantasy would I slip into? I don’t think I want to live in Martin’s books. Everyone dies when you least expect it and rape and dismemberment are highly prevalent in every chapter. I don’t know about Rowling either. The Potterverse is too untouchable in my mind. Not to mention too much like the real world. Anyway, everyone is happily coupled off in the end, so there's nothing for me to do but get in the way. I kind of like the idea of creating my own world and wandering off there one night on my own. That would be nice.

(I really do wish I could read palms.)

Well girls and boys, that is it for my midnight post. I'm going to finish up season 2 of my beloved Bones and eat something scrumptious. I'm craving... something buttery and salty. Maybe popcorn? Or eggs and toast.... or lentil soup with sour cream... or maybe cottage cheese and tomatoes?

(tehehe)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're crazy. That rambling kinda reminded me of a couple of AIM conversations also held at late hours throughout the past semester.