Saturday, June 21, 2008

How Many Movies Can I Watch? A lot.

So, for today, I was torn between three songs that always remind me of the summer. The first is "A Sweet Summer's Night" by Jens Lekman, then there's "In the Summertime" by Mungo Jerry, and lastly "Black Water" by the Doobie Brothers. For purely visual effects, I'm going with my friend Mungo. I know you'll understand once you watch it.



(Told you so)

I had the crappiest sleep last night. I went to bed early (by midnight, which for me is very early) thinking I'd get a nice full ten hours of sleep because it's the weekend and we don't do anything on the weekend. I was sadly, sadly mistaken. I was woken up at least 5 different times during the course of the morning. I was so pissed off. Not only did this travesty start at 7, but my patchy sleep was harried by stupid half remembered fragmented dreams that made me anxious.

So when I finally did wake up for good, I decided I wanted to go rip off a commercial bookstore for some throw away book whose plot is predictable, whose lead heroine ends getting the guy she wants, where good wins against evil in the end, and yada yada yada. And I would settle in a big comfy arm chair, and read the entire book in one go, without having to pay for it. I suppose I could go to the library and do the same thing, but that's completely different. Libraries want you to do that. There isn't that satisfying feeling of cheating the system. And they don't always have the books that I want to read. Nor do they have comfy chairs, usually its just questionable chairs and questionable people sleeping in them. Alas, I am too lazy to take the bus all the way out by Oxmoor and I wouldn't have enough time to finish the whole thing anyway because it's nearly 3 in the afternoon and I'm not that good at engulfing entire books in one go.



(So it's not a hunky picture of Christian Bales. I have to say though, Ledger makes a kick ass creepy Joker... I like his socks)


I watched Batman Begins the other day. I love superheroes. Especially when they make them rich ninjas with a troubled past and enough guilt to become a vigilante and save Gotham from itself. Brilliant. Don't get me wrong, Spiderman's still my favorite, (Who doesn't love a genetically modified geek with superhuman powers?) but Batman just has more personality right now. I blame it on Christian Bales. Ugh, but Katie Holme's character still annoys the shit out of me. She can't make up her mind, so she gives lame, on the fence excuses as to why she can't be with Bruce. If she had her head about her, she would figure he has a short time to live, being a ninja vigilante living a dangerous life and what not, so she might as well be happy with him while she can. Idiot girl, can't see what's right in front of her. After watching that, I watched half of 3:10 to Yuma before I gave in and went to bed. I'm like to finish that today over a bowl of spaghetti, the only thing we have left to eat in this house. That and popcorn. And like five boxes of yellow cake mix from Allie's peach cake experiment.

Oh, and then last night, I figured I'd watch something to unwind from the week, and ended up being pleasantly surprised by my choice of The Forbidden Kingdom. It wasn't as terrible as I really and truly expected it to be. The fight scenes were really good, and the plot line was interesting enough. However, because I didn't go through the, uh, proper channels for watching it, I was without subtitles for the parts where they spoke Chinese. That was a slight wrinkle in my night. Then I started craving Chinese takeout, which was a bummer. I settled for my own poor student version of it in the end - fish and left over rice, yummy.

EDIT: 3:10 to Yuma makes me cry every friggin' time.

No comments: