Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I Less Than Three Biology



(Oh Fiona, you're awesome.)

SO! The other day Kaycee and I hung out. And when I say 'hung out' I mean I got up at 6:45 and met her at Heine Brothers and then we volunteered our expertise at ruthlessly attacking invasive plant species with clippers and hand saws (they trusted me with a hand saw, I felt so powerful!) from 8 til 12. And I must say, it was thoroughly enjoyable. We're hanging out again tomorrow, bright and early.

(Tree Hugger!)


My sister cooked a chicken in the crock pot all day today and charged me with extracting it tonight. I picked it up with two wooden spoons and it broke in half because it was so tender. I ate a couple of pieces, it was very scrumptious. Now I'm waiting until my fingers regain feeling before I siphon off the broth for future storage.

Speaking of food, I'm reading Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan and am swearing off commercial beef forever. From a purely sanitary point of view, it's utterly disgusting what that meet goes through to get to my fridge. So no beef, which is easier than no meat entirely. I figure this time, I should slowly work my up to the big 'no meat' of vegetarianism. But, I will say this right now, if I should happen upon meat at the farmer's market that meets Pollan's requirements for morally okay meat, I will not hesitate to buy, eat, and enjoy it. Just thought I'd say that now, before outcries concerning horrible reputation for the pretentious V resurface. I'm trying guys, really.

Speaking of 'you guys', I'm going to Northern Kentucky this weekend! (I write this with a big grin on my face accompanied with excited and totally incoherent chirps, I guess you would call them. You know what I'm talking about.) Where there will be smores made in an oven because Clemens can't provide a fire, and capture the flag in the woods, and sleepovers at Annie's, and Altiora's comfy couches and caffeinated beverages, and happy happy happy times. Three happys, that means something. After this weekend, my travels will kick into gear finally. I'll be off to Swissconsin to spend some time up at a beautiful lake with a gaggle of small children and a really nice and generous extended step family. And then after that I go to the Galapagos with my kick ass grandma, and then five days later its school again and I'll have my Urban Waters Seminar to look forward to. (Speaking of which, when we go down to the Everglades, we might get to camp on things called Chickees, which are basically wooden docks/islands in the Everglades you sleep on because there's no other dry land around. It's like a dream I didn't realize I had until I saw these things. Yes, it's that epic.) Summer's going to be gone before it starts, the curse of all vacations I suppose.

Oh and question, wouldn't less than 3 look like this >3? Shouldn't it be greater than three <3> = alligator mouths) Does this make sense to anyone else?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no, less than three is this way (<3) >3 is greater than three. Think about it. if you had two numbers in the sequence it would look like, 2<3. Two is less than three. Three is the bigger number and the alligator mouth eats the bigger number. and question, are you going to be able to come up next month in between these travels of yours? we need to go to kings island one day!

Liv said...

I think I can come up. I have to have solid plans, so this weekend we need to solidify our thinkings. I almost know for a fact I won't be able to come up the week before I go off to the Galapagos, so I think that leaves the weekend after I come home from Swissconsin.

Anonymous said...

awww i miss you guys. i need to make a trip to ky when i get back