Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Storm is Coming



The Terminator.

There's perhaps no rival to such a movie. It's got action, it's got grizzled scarred and unshowered soul mates, it's got possible futures, it's got heartache, it's got nuclear wars, it's got hearts being ripped out of bodies and people saying stuff like "in the few hours we had together we loved a lifetime's worth" and "the final battle would not be fought in the future. It would be fought here, in our present. Tonight..." . You just can't beat that. It is epic beyond measure. But by the end of it, you're breathlessly awaiting to know what the hell happens next. Sarah Connors, pregnant and alone but determined, drives off into the mountains to go underground and raise her son; the future savior of the world. Will she live up to her legend? How will she rally support for a future that has yet to happen? Who will believe her? Who will they send next?!

God, I love it!

Updates later on the second movie. I have all three. And I intend to watch them all tonight.

Update: 9:27

Just got done watching the second Terminator. It was Sweet. I thought I'd seen it before, but after the fifteen minutes I was in completely new territory. Just coming up for air before I watch the last one. Whoo hoo. Not having scholarly obligations is great.

Update: 11:32

Hmm. Terminator 3 is done and I'm not sure what to think. It was definitely the least active of the three. Definitely was a transitional piece. It served its purpose I suppose, it was good enough. Nothing beats the first movie though. That thing is a work of art, hah.

So I googled Terminator 4, and there's a bunch of interesting names floating around with it. Christian Bales, Bryce Dallas Howard, Anton Yelchin (who plays a young Kyle Reese, and looks the part if you ask me), this really cute guy Sam Worthington, who is rumored to be the new main character for the next movies. Yeah that's right, movies plural. I love franchises.

Other than that, here's a great picture of Arnold, wearing a male stripper's sunglasses.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey. Got here by accident. I like the note about T1. One can feel the huge impression still on your skin. That's a good thing, T1's a brilliant film. I personally like T2 as much.
Have a good time and believe John that the future is not set ;)))

PS. If you haven't seen it yet, then I strongly encourage you to take a look at a T1 trailer which will probably reveal what the film was intended to be in the first place ;-)
Here's a link: http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=OfwQKapDMws

Nice, clever notes, by the way.