Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Euphoria of Before

"“Islands are havens and breeding grounds for the unique and anomalous. They are natural laboratories of extravagant evolutionary experimentation.”

David Quammen



I begin my journey to the Galapagos tomorrow, and as usual, I have yet to square all of my business in the states away, but I'll likely be up most of the night in euphoric excitement so there's always time. Some may think that this is just more of my general brand of procrastination. To me, however, it's part of the ritual of traveling. What's the point in having everything ready to go hours before you're even thinking about going to sleep? I find comfort in the piles of clothes stacked around me on my bed, waiting to be put into a suitcase or designated to a basket. Not having my bag packed before 7 pm just keeps my hands busy and my mind focused, or else I'd probably be a twitching mass of excitement at the prospect of this trip. To be honest, I'm still in shock that I'm going to be touring the freaking Galapagos. I'm going to be on a boat in the south Pacific for ten days and all I'm required to do is immerse myself in a natural wonder and enjoy myself. I think I kind of want to weep with happiness just at the mere thought of it.

Anyways, I just wanted to happily say farewell to everyone for now, as I'll have the decadent luxury of not having nor needing the internet where I'm traveling. The next time I'll talk to most of you will be in person, which is just another barrel of excitement only eclipsed by my imminent departure. Until then, have as much carefree fun in these last weeks of summer vacation as you can.


No comments: